Buy e-motor insurance online
Road tax, Car Insurance
Check Summon Online
Insurance Claim Problem
English Version Malay Version Chinese Version


Claims - Frequently Asked Questions

No Claims Discount
1. What is NCD?
NCD, short for No Claim Discount, is a discount given to the policyholders upon renewal of their motor insurance if no claim is made or arises from the policy for a continuous coverage of 12 months. The discount given is based on a fixed rate provided by Persatuan Insurans Am Malaysia (PIAM) Motor Tariff.
NCD For Private Car / Commercial Vehicle
Period of Insurance
Private Car
Commercial Vechicle
After 1st year
After 2nd year
After 3rd year
After 4th year
After 5th year
5th year onwards
2. Will I have NCD if this is the first time I purchase a vehicle?
If you are buying a vehicle for the first time, you will not have NCD on your motor policy for the first year on the road. If you have at least one claims free year, then, upon renewal of your motor insurance policy, you will be rewarded with a 25% NCD off your renewal premium.
3. Can I transfer my NCD from one vehicle to another?
Yes you can. This typically happens when you have sold your old vehicle and want to transfer your NCD to the vehicle you are purchasing. If you do not transfer your NCD to another vehicle, your NCD entitlement level will drop one level each year. For example, if your NCD entitlement is 55% this year, it will drop to 45% next year, if it is not transferred to another vehicle. This will continue until the NCD level reaches 0%.
4. How will my NCD be forfeited?
If any claim is made or arises (with exception to windscreen and No-fault Own Damage claim) on your motor insurance policy during the period of cover, your NCD for that vehicle will be forfeited and reverts to 0%. You will have to begin to accumulate your discount in a new cycle.
1. What is excess?
Excess refers to the amount that you are responsible to pay as per the policy terms & conditions in respect of each and every claim payable (including cost and expenditure incurred by the insurance company to conduct, defence and settlement of any claim for the loss or damage to your vehicle, and damage to third party property resulted from the accident arising out of the use of your vehicle for liability to third parties), in addition to any other excess that may be applicable. For example, the excess of your policy is RM200 and the total claim amount is RM1,500. Your insurer will only pay out RM1,300 for the claim while you have to pay the remaining RM200.
2. Under what circumstances will the Compulsary Excess(2f Endorsement) apply?
For Private Car Motor Policy, you are responsible for a compulsory excess of RM400.00 for each and every claim, in addition to the excess stated in the Schedule (if any) if your vehicle is being driven by the following persons authorised by you:
a. Any authorised person not named in the Schedule
b. Any authorised person under the age of 21 years
c. Any authorised person who is the holder of driving licence of less than 2 years experience
d. Any person named in the policy Schedule who is less than the age of 21 years and/or the holder of a provisional (L) driving licence and/or the holder of a Full Driving licence of less than 2 years
1. Why is betterment applied to my claim when in actual fact, I am entitled for full compensation? What is betterment?
Betterment is a scale (%) imposed to the vehicle aged above 5 years when new franchise parts are used during an accident repair that was paid by the insurance company. The insured will have to bear for the betterment charges because his/her vehicle's old damaged parts were replaced with new franchise parts since the motor insurance policy only indemnifies the insured's vehicle in the condition just before the accident. The application of betterment is at the discretion of the respective insurance companies based on the Scale of Betterment approved by Bank Negara Malaysia.
Under Insured
1. At what value should I insure my vehicle?
You need to insure your vehicle based on the market value of your vehicle at the time of renewal / commencement of your motor policy. This value is also called the Sum Insured of your vehicle in your motor policy.
2. My insurer told me that my claim would be paid based on the average clause because my car was under insured, even though I have a comprehensive motor policy. What is average clause? Why no one advised me when I insured my car? Is it the responsibility of the insurer?
Average Clause will be applied whenever your vehicle is under insured (insured for a sum less than its market value) at the time of any loss or damage. You shall bear the difference and the rateable proportion of the loss when the market value of your vehicle at the time of loss exceeds the insured value by 10%. It is the responsibility of Insured himself to find out the actual and current value of the vehicle before insuring the vehicle. The Insured may request the agent or a particular underwriter to assist or advise them on market valuation.
Own Damage Claims
1. My car met with an accident. What type of claim should I make?
The type of claim you can make depends on the coverage of your motor policy. You can make an Own Damage claim for the damages to your vehicle only if your policy is a comprehensive coverage. Your NCD will be forfeited in the process. Third party coverage does not cover the damages to your vehicle. It will only be limited to the legal liability to third parties involving death, bodily injury and/or loss or damage to property. However, if the accident is not your fault, you can make a Third Party claim against insurer of the other party's vehicle. For comprehensive policy, you can also make a No Fault Own Damage claim directly with your insurer where your NCD will not be forfeited (see No-Fault Own Damage Claim).
2. How do I make an Own Damage claim?
Please refer to our Motor Claims section for details.
3. Do I have to repair my car in a workshop approved by Kurnia?
Yes, as stated in the policy conditions, you are required to send/tow your damaged car to a PIAM (Persatuan Insuran Am Malaysia) approved panel of workshops (with exception to "cash in lieu" claims). For your convenience, you can use our Panel Workshop Locator or refer to our Panel Workshop listing to locate one nearest to you or call Kurnia Auto Assist at 03-2692 2233 or 1800-88-3833 for assistance.
4. I was surrounded by several tow truck operators at the accident scene offering to tow my damaged car. Who should I choose? Where should I tow my car?
You have the rights to choose any tow truck operators of your choice but please ensure it is one of Kurnia's panel workshop in order to avoid any inconveniences when making your insurance claim. For your peace of mind, you may call Kurnia Auto Assist at 03-2692 2233 or 1800-88-3833 for assistance. Upon receiving your call, the nearest panel workshop's tow truck will be dispatch to tow your car. Your car will be towed to nearest the Police Station first in order for you to make a police report where photographs of your damage vehicle will be taken and finally, towed to the workshop for repairs.
5. Does my comprehensive motor policy covers towing charges when I make an Own Damage claim? Why did the tow truck operator request me to pay for the towing?
Yes, according to the policy conditions, towing charges up to a maximum of RM200 is covered in your comprehensive motor policy for transporting your vehicle from the scene of the accident scene to the nearest Police Station and then to our panel workshop for repairs. Usually the charges will not exceed this limit. You may have to bear the additional towing charges incurred if you engage towing services from operators other than our panel workshop who charges at an exorbitant rate.
6. My car was damaged in a minor accident and it can still be driven. Can I repair my car on my own and claim for the repairs? (Kurnia Express Claim Only)
Yes, you can, through the "cash in lieu" claim settlement provided the following conditions apply:
a. The vehicle must be insured under the Private Car Comprehensive Motor policy
b. The age of the vehicle must not exceed 4 years
c. The vehicle can be driven
d. Can only claim "cash in lieu" once in a year during the period of the policy
e. The claim must be made within seven working day from the time of accident
f. Cost of repairs must not exceed RM3,000 gross
g. Insured must come personally to sign the discharge voucher and collect the payment (no representative allowed)

All you need to do is to drive your car to Kurnia's Office to make a claim by filling up the claim form and enclose together the relevant supporting documents. Our in-house loss surveyor will assess the damages to your vehicle and prepare an estimate for the repairs. If you choose to accept the amount offered, you will sign the discharge voucher and a cheque will be issued to you on the spot. You may choose to repair your vehicle at any workshop of your choice.

7. What happens after I have submitted the claim form and all the supporting documents for my Own Damage claim?
Upon receiving your claim, Insurer's claim department will assign an Adjuster or our in-house loss surveyor to assess the damages to your car, if it is not already done at the scene of the accident, in order to prepare the Adjuster report. Provided all required documents are in order, your claim will be processed. An approval letter stating the amount offered for the claim and discharge voucher will be prepared within 21 days for your collection. The workshop can proceed with the repairs once receiving a copy of the offer letter signed by you. Payment for the repairs will be dealt with between Insurer and the workshop. You will have to bear any charges not covered by the claim such as excess, betterment or other uninsured charges. You will have to sign the discharge voucher when collecting your repaired car from the workshop.
8. What is a Knock for Knock (KFK) claim?
KFK Claim is a claim made by an insured against the third party insurers for the cost of repairs in the event of an accident in accordance to the KFK agreement.
9. I was involved in a chain collision with 4 cars as shown below. Who should I claim the damages to my vehicle from ?
In the event of a chain collision which involves 3 or more vehicles, according to the Bank Negara guideline effective 3rd January 2001, Vehicle No. 4 shall be responsible for the damage to Vehicle No. 3; Vehicle No. 3 for Vehicle No. 2; and Vehicle No. 2 for Vehicle No. 1. In short, the vehicle behind shall be responsible for the damage to the vehicle immediately in front.

If and should the collision of your vehicle to the vehicle immediately in front is caused by the impact of the vehicle behind you, then the Third Party claimed against you by the vehicle owner in front will not affect your NCD.

10. What is No-Fault Own Damage (ODN) claim and the advantages to Policyholders?
Based on the revised PIAM guideline effective 1 June 2001, you can now make a No-Fault Own Damage (ODN) claim for damages to your vehicle in the event of an accident that is not your fault against your insurer instead of to the insurer of the other party's vehicle and your NCD will not be forfeited. Therefore, you will enjoy faster claims settlement service by dealing directly with your insurer.
11. What is the difference between Knock For Knock (KFK) claim & ODN claim?
KFK Claim is a claim made by an insured against the third party insurers for the cost of repairs whereas for ODN, insured can claim the cost of repairs under his own comprehensive policy without affecting the NCD.
12. How do I make an ODN Claim?
You need to submit the following documents, in addition to the required supporting documents for Own Damage Claim:
a. A signed declaration letter to confirm No Fault Own Damage with the details of the insurers of the third party vehicle at fault. This is to be evidenced by the Road Transport Department (JPJ) extracts of the same AND
b. The police findings, police sketch plan & keys & the Third Party police report as proof

However, ODN claim does not compensate for uninsured losses such loss of use, where you can file for such claim via a third party claim against the other party's insurer.

13. Can I make an ODN claim if my car was knocked by an unknown vehicle while being parked in a car park?
No, you cannot make an ODN claim since you don't know the insurer of the third party vehicle and the registration number.
14. Can I make ODN claim if I'm driving or the other party is driving a taxi, bus or a hire & reward vehicle?
No, Taxi / bus / hire & reward vehicles are not covered within the scope of ODN claims as per the revised KFK Agreement.
Theft Claim
1. My vehicle was stolen. How do I make a theft claim?
a. Remain calm and ascertain whether your vehicle has actually been stolen. Eliminate the probability that that your vehicle has not been towed away or seized by the local authorities for errant parking/ traffic obstruction or repossessed by your hire purchase owner or finance company.
b. Immediately lodge a police report at the nearest police station with details such as date and time when your car was parked, date & time of loss being discovered, exact location of loss, vehicle's particulars (registration no., make & model, chassis & engine no (if available). It is best for you to bring along a copy of the vehicle's Registration Card for easy referencing and action by the police.
c. Collect the Claim form and notify your insurer or your servicing agent within 14 days.
d. Fill up the Claim form attached with the relevant documents to the insurer within 14 days.
2. How much does my Kurnia Comprehensive motor policy compensate me for my stolen vehicle? What happens if I under/over insure my vehicle?
The theft claim will be settled based on the Market Value of the vehicle at the time of loss or the Sum Insured, whichever is lower. As such, if the vehicle is under-insured, the settlement will be based on the Sum Insured, likewise if the vehicle is over-insured, the settlement will then depend on the prevailing Market Value.
3. Why does a theft claim takes 6 months or more to process?
The period given by Bank Negara Malaysia (in its guidelines on settlement of vehicle theft) is stipulated to be processed within 6 months. However, in most cases, claims are settled as soon as the theft investigation is finalised without any irregularities being detected and all documents required for claims processing with payment have been processed.
4. I am not satisfied with the amount Insurer has offered to compensate the loss of my vehicle as I feel the amount offered is lower than the market value. How do I appeal?
If you are not satisfied with the claim offer amount, you can always file an appeal letter to the Claims Manager with relevant documentation justifying the vehicle's Market Value (at time of loss) or the supposed settlement amount (e.g. newspaper clippings, classifieds, written quotations or valuation from reputable car dealers). Your appeal however, will be subjected to further deliberation.
5. What should I do if the police informs me that my stolen vehicle has been found?
You are to immediately channel the said recovery information to the Insurance Company or your service agent. Branch office or Motor Theft Recovery Section at Headquarters for further advice on appropriate action. If the vehicle is recovered before the theft claim is settled, you will have options to either:
a. To withdraw the claim (if the vehicle is recovered in good condition)
b. To withdraw the claim and undertake the repair at his own expense (if the vehicle sustained minor damage and the insured wishes to retain his/her NCD entitlement)
c. To withdraw the Theft Claim but pursue with Own Damage Claim (if vehicle recovered sustained extensive damage or has missing parts)
6. If Insurance Company has already compensated me for my stolen vehicle and the police found my vehicle later on, can I get my car back? What should I do?
a. In the event that a theft claim has been settled or paid by us, Insurer will automatically have legal interest or ownership claim to the subject vehicle irrespective of the theft recovery aspect.
b. If you receive police information pertaining to the recovery of your stolen vehicle after insurer have settled your claim, please channel the said information immediately to any of Insurer Branch office or the Motor Theft Recovery section in Headquarters for Insurer to physically recover the said vehicle.
c. If you wish to get back your recovered vehicle after Insurer has settled your claim, you may officially write in to Insurer Wreck Tender Committee indicating the amount you wish to offer for the committee's consideration. However, this is only applicable when the vehicle is released by police without any condition or court bond.
d. Under normal circumstances, all theft-recovered vehicles will be listed for wreck tender exercises with privileges given to Insurer's staff and then to other parties or panel workshops by the said committee.
Windscreen Claims
My car's windscreen was damaged. How do I make a windscreen claim?
You should first check your motor policy if you have purchased a separate windscreen damage cover. If this additional cover is included in your policy, you can claim for the replacement of your damaged windscreen without affecting your NCD. Otherwise, it is not advisable to claim as you will loose your NCD. After you have claimed under your windscreen claim, you are strongly advised to reinstate your windscreen coverage as the windscreen claim is only a one time claim. Please refer to our Motor Claims section for details on windscreen claim.